Somatic Experiencing® (SE) is a safe and naturalistic approach and a potent psychobiological method for resolving trauma symptoms and relieving chronic stress and anxiety. This approach helps to release traumatic shock, which is key to transforming PTSD and the wounds of emotional and early developmental attachment trauma. It uses your own natural ability to connect with the underlying health of your nervous system. SE helps restores self-regulation and returns a sense of aliveness, relaxation and wholeness to traumatized individuals who have had these precious gifts taken away.
Somatic Experiencing® is the life's work of Dr. Peter A. Levine, resulting from his multidisciplinary study of stress physiology, psychology, ethology, biology, neuroscience, indigenous healing practices, and medical biophysics, together with over 45 years of successful clinical application. It is based on the science that human beings have an innate ability to overcome effects of trauma and stress, however, when this ability is thwarted by overwhelming events and states of helplessness (we become “stuck” in the fight, flight, freeze, or collapse responses). This response creates the symptoms of trauma.
Change and healing happens when the body’s own physiology is used in the process of working with these traumatic symptoms. It is important the symptoms are worked within a safe, gentle, contained way or you will be spun back into the vortex of trauma and there will be no change. The symptoms of trauma are real, but are not always recognized as this. The field of somatic (body) focused trauma work is relatively new and there maybe times when even well-trained health care professional just can’t understand or relieve your suffering.
Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute Training is approved by:
• APA – American Psychological Association
• NBCC – National Board of Certified Counselors
• NASW – National Association of Social Workers
• BBS – California Board of Behavioral Sciences
• BRN- California Board of Registered Nursing
• NCCAOM – National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
• NCBTMB – National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
• NAADAC – Association for Addictions Professionals
• RISI – Rolf Institute Elective Credit
What SE Offers
• Reduction or alleviation of trauma symptoms such as: anxiety, depression, irritability, anger, unexplained chronic physical pain, recurring tension, hypervigilance, flashbacks, headaches, blurred vision, fatigue, mood swings, hypersensitivity, disconnection, etc.
• Transformation of negative, abusive, overwhelming experiences (even if they occurred years ago) and restoration of sense of boundaries
• Ability to be more present and engaged in life
• Increased ability to focus and concentrate
• Greater sense of peace, ease and calm
• Increased resiliency to future stressors
• Restored sense of optimism and hope
• A way to feel more integrated, coherent and whole
• Able to foster natural spiritual connectedness
• A way to gain a deeper, more resilient sense of self
This work has been applied to resolve trauma symptoms from:
• Survivors of childhood abuse and/or neglect
• Military combat (active and veterans)
• Rape survivors
• Auto accidents
• Falls and personal injury trauma
• Dental and medical surgical trauma
• Infants after suffering traumatic births
Relief has been found for those suffering from:
• Bladder interstitial cystitis
• Pelvic pain and unexplained chronic pain
• Amputation pain
• Complex PTSD
• Chronic gastrointestinal issues
• Fibromyalgia and more
Medical Disclaimer: Nothing contained on this website should be construed nor is intended to be used for medical and/or psychological diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your qualified mental and health care provider. Should you have any health care related questions, please call or see your therapist or physician or other qualified providers promptly. Always consult with your qualified provider before embarking on a new treatment program. You should never disregard medical or psychological advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.